Thursday, May 16, 2013

MMM: Horror Nostalgia 2000s

Incredibly, many Horror shows from the 90s survived and ran through the 2000s while even more amazing shows went on the air during the decade from 2000-2009.  It was a Horror hey-day!

Horror TV Shows of the 2000s:


Dead Zone (2002-2007)
Based on the Stephen King novel, Johnny Smith (Anthony Michael Hall) wakes six years after going into a coma to find that the woman he was engaged to has married someone else and the son they share doesn't know him. While trying to come to grips with these events, he also discovers that he has somehow acquired the ability to see into people's lives by simply touching them.



Carnivale (2003-2005)
Set during the Great Depression in 1934, a young man named Ben Hawkins with amazing psychic abilities takes a job in a traveling carnivale and finds he’s not the only one with strange powers. He begins having disturbing dreams that convince him he’s God's emissary on Earth in the fight between good and evil.



Ghost Whisperer (2005-2010)
Melinda Gordon (Jennifer Love Hewitt) communicates with dead people who have messages for those they had left behind.

Medium (2005-2011)
Based on the real life experiences of medium Allison Dubois, this show starred Patricia Arquette (sister of Scream’s David Arquette and actress Rosanna Arquette) who uses her gifts of seeing and talking to dead people to assist the district attorney's office in solving crimes.


Supernatural (2005-2013)
The Winchester brothers, played by Jared Padalcki and Jensen Ackles (yeah, baby!), travel the U.S. in their black muscle-car, searching out and destroying supernatural entities.
Interesting Notes:

  • Jared Padalecki played Dean Forester on the series, "The Gilmore Girls." Jensen Ackles was on "Smallville" (as "Jason Teague" - 20 episodes), on "Dawson's Creek" (as "C.J." - 12 episodes), and on "Dark Angel" (as "Alec/X5-494" - regular cast member).
  • Sam and Dean's car is a 1967 Chevrolet Impala. There are actually five of them used to shoot the series.
  • In one of the first episodes, Dean's cellphone number was given, and it was a real number. If you called it, you would hear a message from Jensen Ackles that went, "This is Dean Winchester. If this is an emergency, leave a message. If you are calling about 11-2-83, page me with your coordinates." The number is 1-866-907-3235. (Info from from crazyabouttv.com)

Destination Truth (2007-2012)
Host: Josh Gates
Reality show where a group of investigators travel the world to investigate myths and supernatural occurrences.


Fringe (2008-2013)
An off-the-wall scientist, his son, and an FBI agent investigate unexplained events involving the paranormal. The FBI section is called the "Fringe Division" and is based in Boston. As the series develops, they find the strange events lead them to believe there’s a parallel universe.


True Blood (2008-2013)
Based on the novels by Charlaine Harris, “True Blood” follows the lives of vampires, shape-changers, witches, and a psychic waitress in the fictional town of Bon Temps (French for Good Times).
Interesting Note: Every episode of True Blood is titled after the name of a popular song, many of which are religious.


Vampire Diaries (2009-2013)
Based on the novels by L.J. Smith, the series focuses on a teen girl who is loved by two vampire brothers. Vampires, witches, and werewolves all make an appearance in a show that has an amazing amount of plot twists per episode.



Horror Films of the 2000s:

American Psycho (2000)
Final Destination (2000)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
Pitch Black (2000)
Jeepers Creepers (2001)
The Others (2001)
Thirteen Ghosts (2001)
28 Days Later (2002)
Dog Soldiers (2002)
Eight Legged Freaks (2002)
Red Dragon (2002)
Resident Evil (2002)
The Ring (2002)
Dreamcatcher (2003)
The Grudge (2003)
Underworld (2003)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Saw (2004)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Constantine (2005)
Dark Water (2005)
Hostel (2005)
Land of the Dead (2005)
Silent Hill (2006)
Slither (2006)
Stay Alive (2006)
The Wicker Man (2006)
30 Days of Night (2007)
Deathproof (2007)
I Am Legend (2007)
The Invasion (2007)
The Mist (2007)
Planet Terror (2007)
The Reaping (2007)
Cloverfield (2008)
Doomsday (2008)
Quarantine (2008)
Drag Me To Hell (2009)
Jennifer’s Body (2009)
The Lovely Bones (2009)
Pandorum (2009)
Paranormal Activity (2009)
Splice (2009)
Zombieland (2009)


Instead of doing tomorrow's final post on the most recent TV shows and Films, for the last day of May Monster Madness I'm going to tell my deepest, darkest secrets.  Come back tomorrow for My Horror Confessions!




Join the May Monster Madness Blog Hop. We're hopping for seven days, from May 11-17, in celebration of  monsters, mayhem, and all things Horror related!

20 comments:

Kate Larkindale said...

Either I've been asleep for most of this decade, or I haven't watched any TV. I haven't seen any of those shows! And Carnivale sounds awesome. I don't think it made it here though.

Not doing that well on the movies either.... Maybe my taste for horror has dulled somewhat. Or maybe the movies just aren't as good as they used to be.

Can't wait for your confession tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Have you seen all these shows? I really considered watching the Dead Zone, because I read the book and loved it. I'm a huge King fan. BUT, I heard the show got cancelled mid-season and I didn't want to be left hanging if it did. Any idea if it wrapped things up well?

I used to watch Supernatural and LOVED it, until about mid-way through the sixth season, where it really went downhill. I hear it got good again though so, one of these days, I might give in another shot.

And I used to watch Vampire Diaries, but (in my opinion) it got SUPER awful. This season has just been ridiculous. My daughter still watches it and I catch bits and pieces but it got way too stupid for me to sit through. It's a shame because it was a good show for a lot of seasons. They just took it too far. They kept going when they should've cancelled it and gone out on a high note!

Sophie Duncan said...

Since I'm rather fond of ghost movies, I love Medium and Ghost Whisper, both very different in the way they handled the atmosphere of such a show. Ghost Whisperer is quite quaint, okay, she gets herself into scrapes, but it's a cute little town, she has a support structure around her and its all a little bit surreal. Medium, much grittier, this is a working mother coping with this extra part of her life.:)

I stopped watching Drag Me To Hell when the person we were supposed to be 'rooting' for killed the kitten - I have my limits in horror and that was one of them. I really enjoyed Paranormal Activity.

Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, and more shows to love... okay, I watched Carnival for a season but then I got bored... Now supernatural is still a favourite of mine. Fringe is very good too, as is true blood:)

shelly said...

I loved the Dead Zone and Fringe and Supernatural and Destination Truth.

Great posts.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

mshatch said...

Dang, there are some great shows there! I loved Carnivale but was disappointed by the ending (I think they wrapped it up a little too soon, imo) and I adored Fringe and am still catching up on True Blood. Eric/Alexander is awfully sexy in that show.

Cherie Reich said...

I've seen quite a few of those shows and movies! It's definitely been a great time for horror. :)

stephen Hayes said...

I read the Dead Zone but never watched the series.

Heather R. Holden said...

Aw, I've seen some of these shows! I especially enjoyed the first five seasons of Supernatural. Some of my favorite horror shows from that decade include Reaper and Point Pleasant, but sadly, both were cancelled way before their time...

Ms Misantropia said...

Look at that, all my shows :) Except Destination Truth, never heard of it - gotta look it up!

I wish Carnivale had not included so much gratuitous naked (only) female bodies, it made me lose interest in an otherwise great show.

Deepest darkest secret huh? I'll be tuning in for sure :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I love Supernatural.

Natasha Hanova said...

Very interesting post. Many of my fav shows went off air. I really enjoyed Dead Zone.

p.s. thanks for stopping by my blog today. :-)

DEZMOND said...

I think I'm one of those who are scared to watch horrors :) Unless I have someone to hold me :)

Intangible Hearts said...

Hi Lexa, I'm not embarrassed to say I avoided all those scary shows and watched American Idol. LOL

Maynard Morrissey said...

I'm not a series guy (pun intended), but I can assure of you I've seen every single movie you mentioned here :)

Anonymous said...

This really shows I'm not a TV person. I haven't seen any of these.

Romance Reader said...

Wow! Some great choices!

Nas

Kim (YA Asylum) said...

Supernatural (seasons 1 - 5 only) and Fringe were the best. I pretty much have seen all the films of the 2000s. Of course, all the zombie ones are my favs.

I just want to let you know that because of your posts (and the fact that it turns out Netflex has every season) I've been marathoning the X-Files. I have gotten nothing done today. I'm totally failing my 7 book goal lol.

klahanie said...

Hey Lexa,

That is quite the list and of course, "Supernatural" was filmed in the greater Vancouver area. When I was over in Vancouver, they begged me to be in a starring role. Something about cleaning up the set.

Many of the shows you mention are shown in Britain. Yikes, a blog hop. Bites tongue and leaves! :)

Gary

Shah Wharton said...

Excellent (I have new thing to watch and am once more reminded of those I have to either catch up on or watch again) I love True Blood, TVD, Supernatural, Medium - but where is The Walking Dead and UK (US is pants) Being Human?

As for Movies - so glad you included American Psycho (the book is brilliant and movie comes close) :) X

Shah

shahwharton.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...